Extreme Environment / Harsh Environment Cable Products
Galaxy is a leading supplier of custom and stock cable products for use in harsh or extreme environment conditions. When the cable used in extreme temperatures, intense pressures or a demanding mechanical environment, Galaxy can provide the proper cable solution.
What is Harsh Environment Cable / Extreme Environmental Cable?
Harsh environment cable is used for applications where the standard off the shelf cable will not be able to perform as required. An extreme environmental cable will need to withstand shock, varying temperatures, chemicals, pressure and often water. These harsh environment cables are often found in aerospace applications, under water, in very high or very low temperature areas.
Benefits of Using Harsh Environment Cable / Extreme Environmental Cable
Choosing an extreme environmental cable helps ensure that the cable will reliably perform in the situation where it has to function. If a cable were to fail, the system it supports will ultimately fail. Therein lies the importance of selecting the correct harsh environment cable.
Harsh Environment Cable / Extreme Environmental Cable Applications
Galaxy supplies harsh environment cables to various markets in the following industries:
- Oil and Gas Industry
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
Galaxy Differentiators / Advantages for Harsh Environment Cable Product
When faced with environmental challenges, Galaxy can help select the extreme environment cable for a specific application. Galaxy will help identify the best performing cable based upon the electrical and mechanical requirements. The cable will be constructed to perform well despite the environmental challenges that could compromise the cable’s intended use and function. Galaxy has a long history of designing cable that will perform in all forms of extreme environmental conditions.
Galaxy offers harsh environment cable / extreme environment cable with the following features:
- Multiple different configurations of electrical components and inners
- Tinned plated, silver plated and nickel plated copper
- Shielding options could include braid, foil and spiral
- Water blocking compounds
- Water tight connectors
Harsh / extreme environment cable from Galaxy is available with the following materials:
- Conductor – tinned plated copper, silver plated copper, nickel plated copper, high strength alloy, stainless steel alloys, fiber optic
- Stranding – concentric lay, bunch lay, rope lay and more
- Insulation and jacketing material (could consist of the following) – Silicone, Neoprene, Nylon, Teflon® (TFE), Tefzel® (ETFE), Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), Chlorinated Polyethylene (CPE), Polyurethane (PUR), Ethylene-Propylene Diene Elastomer (EPDM), High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), Perfluoroalkoxy (PFA), and Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE)
- Shielding types – aluminum mylar, braid shield, spiral shield, serve shield or combination
- Water blocking components – water blocking tapes, fillers, or water blocked conductors
- Strength members – Kevlar® or aramid fibers for strength
Harsh Environment Cable / Extreme Environment Cable Technical Specifications
Galaxy offers harsh environmental cables in the following ranges of technical specifications:
- Gauge: 40AWG – 500MCM
- Voltage: specific to application
- Temperature -75⁰C to +250⁰C
FAQs about Harsh / Extreme Environment Cable
Is the outer jacket the most important aspect of the cable to consider when choosing an harsh/extreme environment cable?
While the outer jacket is a critical part of the design process, all aspects of the cable design are important. The inner conductors, shield and conductor layout are also important to consider when designing an extreme environment cable. The cable must ultimately be able to perform electrically in the extreme environment, and only addressing the outer jacket could adversely affect its use.
There are various terms used in the wire and cable industry related to this type of cable. These two are used interchangeably:
- Harsh Environment Cable
- Extreme Environment Cable
Contact Galaxy Wire & Cable for Extreme / Harsh Environment Cable
Contact Galaxy for further assistance with harsh environmental cable and extreme environmental cable products.
Kevlar®, Teflon® and Tefzel® are registered trademarks of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company.