Perfluoroalkoxy, PFA Insulated/Jacketed Wire & Cable
Galaxy is a leading supplier of custom and stock Perfluoroalkoxy (PFA) wires or cables. Galaxy can supply PFA wires and cables, both stock and custom, in various AWG sizes, voltage ratings, compounds, shielding constructions, and conductor counts.
What is Perfluoroalkoxy / PFA?
Perfluoroalkoxy, also referred to as PFA, is a fluoropolymer. PFA can be rated up to 260°C, thus making it an excellent choice for high temperature applications. Along with excellent temperature ratings, PFA has outstanding resistance to chemicals. A typical use of PFA insulated wire is as a thermocouple wire, but it can be found in various military and aerospace environments. It is available as extruded or foamed.
Features of Perfluoroalkoxy / PFA Wire or Cable
There are many reasons to use PFA insulation or jacketing for wires and cables. These include:
- PFA has superior mechanical strength at high temperatures as compared to FEP insulation
- PFA offers a higher operating temperature and has superior mechanical strength at high temperature as compared to FEP insulation
- PFA (perfluoroalkoxy) insulated wire remains flexible at low temperatures
- PFA insulated wire is ideal for automotive oxygen and NOx sensors, gas igniters, medical and scientific instruments, computers, aircraft, and marine systems subjected to harsh operating conditions
- It can be extruded with very thin walls, due to its dielectric constant. Therefore, the wire will take up significantly less room when bundled together as a cable or grouped together as leads in a wiring harness. It is commonly the material of choice for miniature signal wire applications.
- Mechanical toughness is another bonus when choosing PFA as an insulation and jacket material. The low coefficient of friction of PFA allows “pull” installation of long wire lengths, making installation more efficient.
Common Applications and Industries for PFA Wire or Cable
- Military Industry
- Aerospace Industry
- Oil and Gas Industry
- OEM Appliance Wiring
|Technical Specifications PFA can be used as either an insulation or jacket material.|
|Nominal Temperature Ratings||Fire Resistance||Chemical Resistance||UV Resistance||Durability||Flexibility|
|-100°C to 260°C||Excellent||Excellent||Good||Excellent||Good|
Contact Galaxy Wire & Cable for PFA Insulation/Jacketing
Contact Galaxy for further assistance with perfluoroalkoxy insulated or jacketed wire or cable.