Sensor Cable and Sensor Wire
Galaxy supplies a full range of vented and unvented multi-conductor cables for various sensor, transducer, and transmitter markets. Galaxy can supply various types of sensor cables, both stock and custom, in various AWG sizes, voltage ratings, compounds, shielding constructions, and conductor counts. Galaxy can also recommend the correct sensor cable for specific applications.
What is Sensor Cable?
Sensor cable is a cable construction designed for optimal performance of signal/data transmission from a sensor, transducer, or transmitter to a control unit. Pressure, liquid, temperature, and flow are just a few of the measurements that can be taken.
Benefits of Sensor Cable
Sensor cables are often designed with a specific application in mind, which can vary. Galaxy can assist in engineering a cable with a vent tube, strength member, shielding, water-blocking elements, critical OD, and other features.
Sensor Cable Applications
There are many applications for sensor cables, and variations by industry and intended use. Many of the sensors used across a wide variety of applications are piezoelectric sensors, which measure changes in pressure, acceleration, strain, or force. Galaxy designs and supplies cables for the following sensor applications in the marine, military, aerospace, industrial, wind energy, driverless cars / autonomous vehicles and oil & gas industries:
- Submersible level – well, tank level, ground and surface water measurement applications
- Pressure – industrial, automotive, aerospace applications to measure oil, gas, and water
- Temperature – measurement of temperature of a number of ambient environments
- Position sensors – construction equipment, building control, weighing systems
- Vibration sensors – railway, aerospace, automotive measurement in critical applications
- Traffic sensors – speed and red light camera, weigh-in-motion and vehicle classification
- Driverless Cars / Autonomous Vehicles – cameras and visual/motion detection systems
Galaxy Differentiators / Advantages for Sensor Cable
Galaxy designs and supplies numerous sensor cables for a number of industries, with the understanding that the sensor cable can be the critical difference between whether a piece of equipment works or not. Galaxy knows the materials and constructions that will achieve the perfect custom cable solution for a specific end use.
Insulation and Jacketing Materials
Sensor cable and wire from Galaxy is available with the following materials:
- ETFE Tefzel®
|Polyurethane||E||E||500||E||-50 to 80°C||G||7||G||G|
|Polyethylene||G||F||600||E||-60 to 80°C||G||2.1||G||G|
|Foam Polyethylene||P||G||N/A||E||-60 to 80°C||P||1.5||P||P|
|Nylon||E||E||450||E||-40 to 120°C||E||4||G||E|
|Hytrel||E||E||860||E||-50 to 105°C||G||6||G||G|
|FEP||E||E||600||E||-70 to 200°C||E||2.1||E||E|
|ETFE Tefzel||E||E||400||E||-70 to 150°C||E||2.7||E||E|
E = Excellent
G = Good
P = Poor
Sensor Cable Technical Specifications
Galaxy offers sensor cable in the following ranges of technical specifications:
- Gauge: 30AWG – 10AWG
- Voltage: Specific to application
- Temperature: -70 ⁰C – +200 ⁰C
- Shielding: Braid, Foil, Serve, or combination
- Strength Member: Kevlar or aramid fiber can be added to support weight strain on the cable
- Vent Tube: Hollow tube in center of cable to allow for changes in pressure without affecting the accuracy of the readings
FAQs about Sensor Cable
How do I select a cable insulation and jacket that are right for my application?
Many factors come into play here. It is necessary to consider temperature, voltage, abrasion resistance, flexibility, and chemical compatibility. Galaxy often works with customers to learn about where the cable will be used and what its function will be to help select the materials for optimum performance. See table above describing various choices/options.
What is the reason for a vent tube in a cable?
The vent tube can be made of either nylon or polyethylene and runs the length of the cable down its core. It allows for changes in atmospheric pressure so as not to affect the pressure reading in gauge type sensors.
There are various terms used in the wire and cable industry related to this type of cable. They include:
- Sensor Cable
- Transmitter Cable
- Transducer Cable
- Vented Cable
Contact Galaxy Wire & Cable for Sensor Cable and Sensor Wire
Contact Galaxy for further assistance with sensor cable and wire.
Tefzel® and Hytrel® are registered trademarks of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company